My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Your pretty pretty petticoat.



No matter how hard I tried to resist, I couldn't help but getting a bit stuck on the tunes of the Kooks. It's almost like they were written just to get stuck in one's head- that's determined catchiness. The voice still brings to mind Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits (but without the cloying nature, don't worry.) Maybe it's in the boyish longing in the singing and the lyrics themselves, but songs like "She Moves In Her Own Way" and "Ooh La" both have the same kind of innocent desire in them that at first turned me off but then ended up working their way onto repeat on i-Tunes.

The Kooks- Ooh La

The Kooks on Myspace




I must admit I'm a sucker for just about anything the Cardigans do, whether it's because of the actual great tunes or the sly coo of Nina's vocals. And they do have a wicked way with a cover, whether it's famously with the tunes of Black Sabbath or REM or in this case, Thin Lizzy. I've heard Belle and Sebastian cover this one live when they were playing Chicago but this version tops even that, giving it a just perfect loungey groove.

The Cardigans- The Boys Are Back In Town




What better way to celebrate Halloween than with a... Christmas tune from Fiona Apple? OK, it makes no sense but I've been enraptured by this short little ditty for a week or two. Just Fiona's delivery is enough for me to love it- normally she's serious and for the large part angry in her tunes but here she's seriously and boisterously full of holiday spirit. How could you resist such a bouncy Christmas tune?

Fiona Apple- Frosty The Snowman




And while we're on the matter of songs that have snuck their way into my brain and stayed there like a catchy musical worm, let's move on to Kamikaze Saucers. I'll admit that I'm a bit partial first because I know the singer, but damn if that riff isn't catchy every time it kicks in. I still don't think I can understand more than about three words of the whole song (of course the intro to the chorus) but no matter. They call themselves "somewhat like a cross between The Pixies, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and Talking Heads." Hmmm... I'm not sure about that, but it's awfully addictive either way.

Kamikaze Saucers- Michael Flannery Is A Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Kamikaze Saucers on Myspace

8 Comments:

Anonymous Y of the Saucers said...

thanks for the kind words about the saucers. quite nice of you.

"I still don't think I can understand more than about three words of the whole song (of course the intro to the chorus) but no matter."

yeah neither can i most of the time, and i wrote the damn thing.

"somewhat like a cross between The Pixies, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and Talking Heads." Hmmm... I'm not sure about that, but it's awfully addictive either way."

we're not sure of that either. but we needed something to give people an idea i guess, right?

again thanks alot.

Yusef of the saucers.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Tia said...

ysi download limit already reached on fiona and cardigans. :-(

11:14 PM  
Blogger jspaceman said...

Ah, here you go...

Fiona Apple- Frosty the Snowman

The Cardigans- The Boys Are Back In Town

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Tia said...

You're a love for reposting those...many thanks.
:-)

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Juliana said...

Dang man, the Cardigianianiansssssssssss song is already done. I did check like the day after you posted it too, I'm only just now getting around to the commentage.

Grr.....

7:49 PM  
Blogger jspaceman said...

Here's a new link:

http://download.yousendit.com/82410993237A389A

7:55 AM  
Blogger Lawrence said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Lawrence said...

Actually Fiona Apple isn't nearly as serious and angry as she used to be. In fact some of the songs on the 'Extraordinary Machine' album are pretty fun. She seems to be weaving in more and more jazz into her arrangements as time goes on.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer