My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I'm lookin' past ya...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(girls talking are not, in fact, Girl Talk)


Here's another one I'll add to the running for Best of 2006- Girl Talk's Night Ripper. This one's been blogged to death but deservedly so and I'll just say yep, that's great stuff. I'm reminded a bit of Prodigy's Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1 but with much more of a poppy bent. It boggles my mind to think that this actually got a release what with all the copyright issues (shh- they actually sample the Beatles!) but it's in stores- on the appropriately named Illegal Art.

It's essentially nothing more than an album-long mosaic of mash-ups but somehow it's surpassed that and become it's own. If nothing else, it's entertaining just to identify the samples as they pass... I mean c'mon- "Bounce That" uses Elastica, the Breeders, Stevie Wonder, and Steve Winwood? And it actually works! I'll just overlook the craptacular inclusion of "My Humps" on "Warm It Up." Sheesh. And I just have to throw in "Peak Out" which uses "Silly Love Songs." Good stuff.

Buy it on Amazon

Girl Talk- Bounce That

Girl Talk- Peak Out


Check out Liars performing "Loose Nuts On The Velodrome" (more or less, I think) on Youtube. Kooky stuff, but I still enjoy it. Apparently it's like "bisexuals eating fruit loops on stage. Sure, guys- do drugs much?


The video for the latest offering from Mr. Skinner and the Streets "Pranging Out" can be seen here. As Mike Skinner tends to do, this is a completely different version from the album proper with different vocals. Is he now just trying to promote the guys on his label and become the white Sean Combs? Strange. And for those not in the know when it comes to British slang, "pranging out" is defined as "getting overly agitated" in this case due to the use of cocaine.


I can hear it now- "KYCW is posting freaking JET now?" Fear not- I can explain. The first time I heard their debut album, I thought it was pretty much a slice of poo. Then I heard "Cold Hard Bitch" and "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" ad nauseum on the radio (multiple formats, no less) and I changed my mind. It wasn't a slice of poo at all, but an entire uncut poo. If there's one thing worse than not liking a song, it's hearing that song more times that you can count and be unable to avoid it. That being said, I am now here to say that upon just one listen, I like the new song a bit and think it's incredibly catchy. Not only that, but it's only two and a half minutes long, which means it's pretty much over before you know it. I predict hitsville- duh. And I also predict myself getting incredibly tired of this tune. Give it a week.

Jet- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked that 'Bounce That'-Girl Talk song for the first... it was wonderful with the Purple Ribbon All Stars Sample and stuff... by the time it was mixing Elastica and Ciara? Total garbage! It's off key, and yeah the tempos match but otherwise it's all over the place... I appreciated the post, and kind of liked the song but Dj Shadow this guy is not...

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

duhh, no crap he's not DJ Shadow. I was unaware that DJ Shadow was the standard barer now. Guess we're doomed I've been listening to Nightripper tracks in my car non stop. It's so ADD, it's delicious.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Paulrifik said...

No need to be a shitbag about it. Jeezus.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer