My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

J'aime bien cette fille

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm a bit late on this one (in more ways than one, kids) but you know what? It doesn't matter to me. I've been trying harder to become inspired by new music for KYCW as opposed to reviewing older artists and albums but sometimes they don't come so easy. A friend sent a single video my way- Camille's "Ta Douleur," saying that I might like it and if I checked out more of her stuff it might be worthy of a post. And I'll be darned if she wasn't right.

An Amazon review tries to group her in with fellow artists by saying "Feel free to add French chanteuse Camille to that extremely select group of adventurous female singer/songwriters that also includes Bjork, Fiona Apple, Kate Bush and Julieta Venegas." Some of the comparisons in that group might be more warranted than others but Camille definitely seems to share the ability to craft songs that are both experimental in nature to some degree while at the same time being both catchy and accessible. I don't understand any of the words whatsoever in "Ta Douleur" but you know what? I still repeatedly find myself humming the tune and trying to sing along in my own nonsensical mumbo-jumbo speak.

Much along the same lines of Bjork's Medulla, nearly all the sounds on Camille's Le Fil are made with her voice. This ranges from simple humming and singing to more beatbox or scat-singing style percussive sounds, including a steady vocal droning tone (the thread?) that is throughout the entire album. Think Bobby McFerrin but with much more hypnotic and beautiful effect- some of the songs can become nearly operatic and intricate, with different voice parts threading in and out of other vocals. Maybe even a comparison with Petra Hayden would be a bit more appropriate in this case.

I'd enjoyed some of the music of Nouvelle Vague but it wasn't until after the fact that I discovered that Camille had sung vocals there as well. Some of the songs are a bit alike in style but overall, I enjoy Camille's music much more on her own. Already popular in her home country of France, Le Fil is Camille's second album and has only recently gotten its US release in June of this year.

Buy Le Fil on Amazon

Camille Fan Club

Camille- Ta Douleur

Camille- Assisse

Camille- Vous

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

like you, i've only just found out about this wonderful lady. She's amazing

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can get her 1st record and a recent live record on itunes.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Guuzbourg said...

that live-album is effing amazing. also hear a studio-session on my blog: www.fillessourires.blogspot.com

6:02 AM  
Blogger Eager said...

I hope U get to read this comment, 'coz the post is kinda old.

Anyways, I'm madly in love with 'Le Fil'!! And I just wanted to ask U if could advise me any other performers like her?

I'd appreciate anything as long as it's not just depressive wining to a single piano... ;) Cheers, mate.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer