My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Are you trying to be difficult?



#1 in a series of musical difficulties...

What do you consider difficult music? Is it music that's hard to listen to? Music that needs repeated listens before it "clicks?" Maybe it's the opposite of pop music, which is nearly always catchy and easily accepted by the masses.

Either way, I always find it satisfying to finally "get" and enjoy music that didn't at first seem inviting at all. It's like becoming good friends with the antisocial cool rebel kid in high school, I suppose. All the trials and difficulties in finally enjoying a band or artist makes it all the more sweet when it finally hits you.

A good handful of my favorite albums were at first disappointing to me, and seen in a completely different light from the way I've grown to now hear them. Manic Street Preachers The Holy Bible and Spiritualized Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space are the first two that immediately come to mind. I would consider the former to be more of an example of "difficult" than the latter, which is less difficult and more of a "grower."

I'll start off with The Holy Bible. Considered by the majority to be their masterwork, Manic Street Preachers released the album in 1994 complete with dark imagery both in lyrics and artwork. The songs are intense and brutal in subject matter- dealing with topics including abortion, anorexia, the death penalty, and concentration camps. Not exactly love songs on a sunny day, and all coming from the mind of Richey Edwards- who disappeared shortly before the tour was to begin to promote the album.

Manic Street Preachers- Yes

Manic Street Preachers- Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart

Manic Street Preachers- Faster

Manic Street Preachers- Faster (live acoustic)

Buy it on Amazon

Official Manic Street Preachers website

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider anything Pete D. and Babyshambles does to be "difficult", because no matter how many times I listen to that garbage, it still doesn't "click". How anyone sees that guy as talented is beyond me, so that's "difficult" for me.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Fearless said...

This was the Manics finest hour for sure, they'll never top it, thanks!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer