My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

That solo's awful long- but it's a good refrain...



As I'm sure is probably evident from past posts (and I may have even mentioned it outright) I'm a huge sucker for female singer-songwriters. I'm not talking Alanis Morrisette or Carole King here- I'm talking about Fiona Apple, Nellie McKay, Amanda Palmer, Beth Orton, and... Regina Spektor. It's interesting that I've never really noticed the similarity between the vocal styles of Fiona and Regina. Especially on some of the slower tunes on Regina's upcoming album Begin To Hope, the same sort of lilt and yearning comes out in the melodies. Of course the seemingly random Doctor Robert/Uncle Albert references in "Edit" give a kick to the Macca fan. Although I've only had a chance to give her a new album a few listens thus far, I'm definitely thinking it's as good or even better than her previous releases. Quirky and emotional with an occasional jazzy touch, this one's enchanting from start to finish.

Official website

Buy it June 13th on Amazon

Regina Spektor- Samson

Regina Spektor- On The Radio

Regina Spektor- Hotel Song

3 Comments:

Anonymous bontzy said...

the last two links are identical

10:28 AM  
Anonymous katie said...

thanks for the first two though... i love love love

12:14 PM  
Blogger jspaceman said...

Whoops- link's fixed now.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer