My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

There's a chill in the air- and it's catching!



Well, I sit here- a new convert to the Fiery Furnaces. Before this new CD Bitter Tea, I must admit that I wasn't at all taken. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like them. I listened to grandma sing and thought "OK, am I missing something here?" Blueberry Boat? Not so much. And even upon my first listen to Bitter Tea, I had some of the same doubts. Are they trying to be difficult? Avant-garde for the sake of avant-garde usually equals a misstep by my calculations. Backward vocals? Yeah, check that one. Again? Yeah, we get it. Strange half-sung half-spoken vocals? Yep, it's in there. And how many times must I click back to iTunes to figure out if a new song has started or not?

But those were the preliminary complaints. Upon a second, third, fourth listen- I just gave up and took it for what it was. Wait, I still don't know what it is, but I know I like it. Is she giving street addresses? Directions to the local 7-11? I'd be the wrong person to ask, but I know that when that beat kicks in midway through, it's pretty great. Of course, I'm sure they're still playing with my head. It's becoming more and more difficult for me to explain why I like or dislike music, but so far I really don't have a problem with that. I think I don't have "the wrong Eleanor Friedberger" after all... and that tea's only bitter on first taste.

Fiery Furnaces- I'm In No Mood

Fiery Furances- Oh Sweet Woods

Fiery Furnaces- Bitter Tea

Fiery Furnaces Official Website

Pre-order on Amazon

1 Comments:

Blogger Bo said...

I lost my interest in these guys after I bought Blueberry Boat. There were some wicked sounding tunes on there but it jumped around more than my ADD cousin. And I agree with you it seems they are TRYING to be difficult. I will have to check out these Bitter Tea songs. I am just too curious to stay away.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer