My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I am a weapon of mass destruction.

Don't know why, but I've been in a headbangin' sort of mood today. From new Ministry to Mclusky's greatest hits, it's been some more heavy duty stuff today (you know, as compared to your Belle & Sebastian, Nick Drake, Rilo Kiley- that sort of thing.)

Image hosting by Photobucket

I haven't had a chance to give the new Ministry album Rio Grande Blood a proper listen all the way through, but I'm fairly digging on the title track. Sampling Bush- and what would you expect? May not be the best sort of tune to stand the test of time, but it's a bit of a statement on affairs, if nothing else. Bush never rocked this hard.

Ministry- Rio Grande Blood


Image hosting by Photobucket

I first heard Mclusky a couple years back on WOXY (there's another plug- go there and check 'em out and give money if you can.) In fact, Mclusky's "To Hell With Good Intentions" is one of the first tunes that really grabbed me about woxy. There's always been a special place in my heart for rock trios, and the fact that they're Scottish and have some clever lyrics helps, too. They've since debanded, sadly- and never quite got the breakthrough that they deserved. A B-sides collection has followed and the hits compilation Mcluskyism is to be released March 21st. Mcluskyism makes for a perfect little sampling of their albums if you're not quite ready to make the plunge into the raggedy rockin'goodness that is/was Mclusky.

Mclusky- Without MSG I Am Nothing




I completely missed out on Drive Like Jehu during their actual existence as a band (count that as all of two albums in the early '90s.) I always hate to try to define or describe bands like this but I think people might use words like "emo" or "hardcore punk." Maybe it's easier to name bands that Drive Like Jehu might not fit too badly alongside- Jawbox, Hot Snakes, At The Drive-In, These Arms Are Snakes (snakes, snakes, everywhere snakes!) And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, etc. Definitely driving music- and by driving music I mean propulsive, not music you'd listen to on that cross-country trip with Crazy Larry.

Drive Like Jehu- Do You Compute?

Drive Like Jehu- Caress


Image hosting by Photobucket

And just for the heck of it, here's Razorlight covering the Cure...

Razorlight- Boys Don't Cry (live Cure cover)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sean,
on the off chance I don't suppose you would be able to fire a copy of the Razorlight "Boys Don't Cry" cover over would you? Looks like the link's expired.
Many thanks!
mello.fello@yahoo.co.uk

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer