My Photo
Name:
Location: Lafayette, Indiana, United States

Monday, November 14, 2005

It's so cold in Alaska



Seems to me that I've heard a lot of people calling the Velvet Underground overrated lately. Why must we even attempt to put a value on them artistically? They were a great band, and I won't waste my breath any further. I was lucky enough to shake Lou Reed's hand after a show in Detroit years ago and it immediately gave me goosebumps. I'm sure he gets that sort of thing all the time but he still chuckled a bit. Part of the reason I love Lou Reed so much is the emotion and vulnerability he can convey with his voice. Fragility in music has always struck me as a beautiful thing, and Reed has an uncanny ability to perfectly describe humanity in a way that can be sad and at the same time uplifting. "Stephanie Says" has always been one of my favourites...

Velvet Underground- Stephanie Says

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Great pick, and yeah, people are hating on some Velvet Underground for some reason. They just ignorant.

I think Sunday Morning is perhaps their best, either that or "Oh Sweet Nothin'"

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer